Sonntag, Juli 03, 2005

The best part of my pdf farm is that it represents both my knowledge (things I've read), my potential knowledge (I have a folder gathering articles that I intend to read), and forgotten resources (read them, but they don't spring to mind). This could be a huge resource for me, as I work on tackling several upcoming projects, all of which have interconnecting threads. If I had some way to sift through all of this information easily, who knows what I'd be able to do?

A rough estimate now gives me 217 pdf and text documents totaling 164Mb. This is an impressive collection of stuff. Now I just wish I had some tools to help deal with it.

This could take the form of file tagging (á la delicious) or some sort of brute search engine (Spotlight), but whatever form I choose needs to be able to put the relevant information into context and deliver it to me without too much fuss on my part. And it should be smart; when I type "chad," I don't just want a list of articles about the Debacle of 2000 and the Darfur crisis. I want two lists: one about Florida, one about Darfur.