Sonntag, April 10, 2005

Friedman Gets On Board

It was nice to see Thomas L. Friedman's appearance on the Daily Show. Since I stopped reading the Times (for the obvious reasons and because without Bill, what's the point?) and gave up on American media (except for a couple of things), I hadn't heard anything out of him since he visited my school (almost) two years ago.

Imagine my surprise to hear about his new book.
What's even better, though, is that he finally seems to be on board with my idea about energy independence. Unfortunately (and there's always a downside with this guy), it's just not the kind of thing that American youth are going to get excited about; sorry, Tom, but no 12-year-old gives the first damn about energy independence. Sure, space was cool; but what made it cool wasn't the President telling us it was strategically important, what made it cool was a) the thrill of discovery; and b) the popular image of exactly what was out there to discover.

No little green men, no rush to engineering schools.

That said, I still want to read the book. To everybody who passed up my birthday (you know who you are....), I expect to see a copy of this book in the mail sometime soon. (In English, please.)