Mittwoch, Dezember 22, 2004

11 Days, Three Beers, Only One Update

Christmas preparations prevent me from regailing you. Let me only say, DeutschlandRadio Berlin may be the best radio station in the entire world. Think NPR, except with interludes from Duck's Breath Mystery Theater, German pop-music, and other randomly generated entertainment. Everything I love (music, talking-heads, comedy, and surreal juxtapositions of the above) have been brought together under one roof.

Cool thing's I've heard on DR Berlin:
1. A Schumacher concerto, followed by Roxanne -- the Police
2. Short, vicious (but joking) pieces on how to reach enlightenment or reduce stress by contorting your body into painful and bone-injuring positions, including sound effects!
3. A piece on globalization and it's impact on the German economy, including a live interview with a major official from the Economic Ministry; cut immediately to I'll Be That Girl -- the Barenaked Ladies (1)
4. A piece on education and single-parent households; cut immediately to Wyclef singing "I ain't yo daddy, but I'm the closest thing you got"

I'll forgive the fact that they're now playing some crappy J-pop (Happy! Sad! -- I don't know who, and I don't care, just make it stop!!) because they regularly play Afro-pop, which, after the demise of Afropop Worldwide on my local NPR stations back in the Empire, I miss dearly.

Go check out the live stream: Real Media or MP3. (2) Even if you don't speak German, let the Funny Moon Language act as white noise, then enjoy a music selection that makes the word "eclectic" seem empty and superficial by comparison!

-----Endnote----
1. It's funnier if you understand that most Germans seem to be very disappointed with their economic engine of late.
2. There is also a Windows Media stream, but I don't like Windows Media streams. The quality is lower than the others, and the stream rebuffers too often, leaving out punchlines and useful information. The full selection of streams is available here, under "DeutschlandRadio Berlin."