Donnerstag, Oktober 14, 2004

The Rules; Bending the Rules

The Rules

I've taken an as-yet unwritten pledge never to do certain annoying, weepy, web-bloggy-type things on this page. (In the list below, examples of offending behavior are provided.) For instance, I will not:

1) Get too "personal" -- If this were a diary, you'd all love to read about how many time I went to the bathroom, what I had for lunch, and where I found that penny. But this isn't (a diary) and you don't (give a shit).
2) Foster petty disputes -- If I want to have an argument, I'll confront the subject/object face-to-face. Sleep well, meine Feinden! for I will never lambast you over this public forum (unless I can milk some humor out of it).
3) Post non-text -- This is a wishy-washy rule, but I prefer to keep graphics off the site as much as possible because:
a: The layout is designed for text, not pictures.
b: This is an Idea Blog, not a Photo Blog (note the horrible load-time!), and a blog of ideas is best served by written statements.
c: My egalitarian principles encourage me to make this blog available to anybody, assuming they have the time, willingness, and proficiency to read it. It's annoying enough to me that non-internet users do not have access, and I'm trying to keep the bar as low as possible. That's why I only display two posts at a time (subject to change, of course) and why I write long-ish posts (if you're going to read it, why not read a complete thought?). Text can display on Web browsers the world over, regardless of computer platform; furthermore, text is cheap and fast. If you really enjoy reading this website on your Palm, cellphone, or (God forbid!) your Blackberry, then go to it! No pictures will stand in your tiny, cramped, eight-line, 65,000-color screen! (1)


Bending The Rules

One of the coolest pictures I've ever been a part of is posted here. On Wednesday, our class was demoralized by the crippling Grammatik Prüfung required by the Uni. So, as a treat, our second-class Dozentin took us to her favorite café nearby, where we sat and chatted. It was nothing new for us, since we've been getting to know each other for the last three weeks, but I think she was really looking forward to talking to us in an informal setting. It was actually a lot more fun than I had expected, and I really enjoyed talking to her outside of the classroom.

Although I don't agree with how she handled the class, she turned out to be a wonderfully thoughtful, observant, and witty person. I find that it's always hard to dislike people when I talk to them face-to-face, and I think that this was a good object lesson in not "judging books."

Anyway, the picture (2) is fascinating for other reasons entirely. Check out the national rainbow we managed to assemble! (We were many, and the table was small, so there are two separate photos.)

A: (small - 13k) (medium - 41k) (large - 122k)
Poland, Italy, Finland, the Empire, Germany, France, and Hungary
B: (small - 11k) (medium - 37k) (large - 113k)
Italy, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Scotland, England, and Finland

So, OK, I guess this is one of those times where the Picture brings out the Idea....



(1) I got rid of the Blogshares image at the bottom of the page; I thought it was a little decadent.
(2) Special Thank You to M. for taking and emailing the photos -- good idea!
Danke Schön M., dass du diese Photos geschoßen und die uns geschickt hast -- tolle Idee!