Montag, September 20, 2004

Jotted Notes

It's hard to live without some things these days.

Most of us would be lost without electricity ("You mean I can't watch The Simpsons?"). Pretty much everybody I know would be pretty upset without some sort of home to go to. For me, it has been difficult to live without a phone.

Strike that. For me, it has been difficult to live without a phone. It's been difficult for people to get in contact with me without one. And that was put in sharp focus today by this email from some friends of mine:

--Email--
Subject: WE HATE YOU!
We waited outside your building all day and could not find you. We wanted you to hang out with us but you are no longer wanted. Just Kidding! Check your mailbox b/c we left you a note. We will meet you in front of the Star Back at 12:00 tomorrow. If you don't come don't bother ever talking to us again.
--Email--

I have to say, this email shook me to the core. I will never again be so callous as to ignore those that seek me by sitting outside a building all day! Never again will I ignore the restless pleas of those seeking grog! And I won't be late tomorrow!

I think they are hooking up my phone on Friday (but, then again, she could have been saying something about a "cheese-party with stuffed mussels and white wine;"(1) my head has been elsewhere today...).

A note for later: E. and I saw "Der Untergang" today, which is causing big waves in the German press right now (not least because the Rechts Radikal NPD won a big victory in state elections in Brandenburg and Sachsen). I'll post a full piece on it when I decide what I think about it.



(1) Which begs the question, who serves stuffed mussels at a cheese-party? I'm going to have to consult the recipe book on this one.(2)
(2) Apropos cooking, we all need to sponsor this fledgling idea for a TV show (scroll down to the bottom).