Freitag, April 23, 2004

My Nephew

I met my nephew Benjamin for the first time an hour ago, and the experience was a disconcerting one.

Maybe it was the exhaustion after having spend most of last night with my girlfriend at the hospital getting treatment for an asthma attack.
Maybe it was the strange morning that followed: almost oversleeping, stumbling into class, bleary-eyed and three minutes late.
Maybe it was the weather: a white-hot sandhills midday sun, light blue afternoon, and the sunshadows cast by the passing clouds which reduce the colors of the world from brilliant to greyscale.

Whatever it was, something made me feel completely out of place.

Maybe it was the fact that I am now an uncle, a functional, responsible unit in the rearing of a child. I potentially have responsibility towards this individual. That's a bruiser for a twenty-year-old.

I also felt awkward and estranged from my sister and brother-in-law. I felt like a burden. We only saw each other in passing -- a brief lunch at the local café, then back into the car, out I-26 and away to the coast.

So why did it feel like I was an impediment . . . ?

Meine ältere Schwester ist sechzehn Jahre vor mir geboren. Als ich geboren wurde, hat meine Schwester schon bei der
High School Kurse belegt. Sie machte Debatte, sie war Schauspielerin, und sie hat ein Auto fahren können. Sie hat
Freundinnen, sie hat Freunde. Heutzutage kann ich mich erinern, wie ich ihr anbeten hat. Wenn sie einen Film sah, saß ich
auf der Sofa mit ihr. Wenn sie Pizza aß, aß ich auch ein Stück Pizza. Sie war wie eine Göttin.


Whatever.

Mein Neffe